Boston ARTCC Mentor Program
All new members of the Boston ARTCC staff will be assigned a mentor to provide occasional evaluation and coaching. In addition, these mentors will provide the training necessary for promotion to higher ratings. The training staff follows a set of syllabi and lesson plans to allow for a consistent and repeatable approach to training and evaluation. We use a "team teaching" style, utilizing multiple mentors per level, to allow for easier, regular access to mentors.
Experienced, S3 or higher rated members of the staff selected by the Training Administrator will be invited to participate as mentors (see the staff page for a list of current mentors). Agreeing to participate as a mentor represents a significant commitment of time and energy to helping our active staff members improve their ATC skills. Mentors will be expected to:
- Be visibly online frequently
- Provide one on one evaluation and coaching of their assigned trainees
- Provide feedback to the Air Traffic Manager(ATM), Deputy Air Traffic Manager(DATM) and Training Administrator(TA) on the progress of those they are assisting
- Conduct Over-The-Shoulder examinations for intermediate (Class C) certifications within the vZBW training program
- Conduct pre-promotion evaluations and recommend all other certifications or promotions to the ATM and TA
- Sign on using a callsign of the form ZBW_xx_MEN (inactive) or xxx_M_xxx (active) when they are acting as mentors
While mentors are expected to be capable of working most positions within the Boston ARTCC, it is likely over time that they will develop specializations. As a student progresses through promotions, they are likely to be assigned to different mentors based on those specializations.
Training will follow the syllabi and basic lesson plans that are developed for use in this program, ensuring consistent and fair treatment of all trainees. Especially for S-rated trainees, training will be conducted primarily on a private voice channel to promote the rapid and efficient exchange of information.
All students will be expected to complete the appropriate VATUSA training courses and pass the associated Boston-specific exams as a part of learning a new position. Each syllabus will indicate which Boston training courses are required for that position.
Promotion / Advancement Process
All position certifications and promotions will follow this sequence of steps. If the trainee does not meet the required standard at any step prior to #4, he will be referred back to the mentor/instructor group for further training and the process restarts.
- A local procedures test is given via Boston's automated tests on the VATUSA website.
- Mentor/Instructors determine that trainee is ready for certification for a position, with the trainee having successfully completed local procedures tests based on the training syllabi. Certification to work a position comes through the trainee having passed the requisite knowledge tests as well as having passed an over-the-shoulder review of traffic handling in the position. OTS' are performed by a mentor or instructor.
- For promotion to Senior Student or Controller, the trainee must have passed the requisite knowledge exams and only a Staff Instructor can give an over-the-shoulder checkride to verify the student's qualifications for promotion.
- Recommendation to vZBW ATM and TA for promotion (per VATUSA SOP). If approved, Boston local procedures tests must have been passed and the VATUSA written and normal promotion procedures are applied.